Sabre Girls Hockey
The Mission of the Sabre Girls Hockey Program is to develop young ladies of character, strength, and confidence through the experiences gained by being part of Sabre Girls Hockey. By utilizing the sport of ice hockey we strive to foster an environment and ideals of teamwork, sportsmanship, and friendship while helping each skater develop their skills to reach their full potential and compete at the highest level they wish to attain.
2015-16 19U State Champions; USA Hockey National Championships Quarter-finalists
2015-16 10U Wolves Cup (championship game – finalist)
2014-1519U Heartland End-of-Season 19U Tournament Champions
2014-1516U Heartland End-of-Season 19U Tournament Runners-Up
2014-1516U Heartland Girls Division Champions
2014-1519U USA Hockey National Championships Quarter-Finalists; 19U State Champions
2013-1419U USA Hockey National Championship Quarter-Finalists; 19U State Champions
2013-1414U USA Hockey National Championships; 14U State Champions
2012-1314U USA Hockey National Championship Quarter-Finalists; 14U State Champions
2010-1112U USA Hockey National Championships 3rd Place; 12U State Champions
2010-1112U Wolves Cup Champions
2010-1112U Presidents’ Cup Champions
2009-1012U 3rd in State Championship
2009-1012U Wolves Cup Runners-Up
2008-0910U SWSL Champions
***Sabre Girls Hockey was recently nominated by AHAI and USA Hockey’s Central District Women’s Chair, Mary Ann Robinson for USA Hockey’s Female Honors Award. This award will be announced at the USA Hockey Annual Congress in June in Colorado Springs.***
HIGH PERFORMANCE COLLEGE SHOWCASE
This invite-only Showcase highlights the prospective NCAA Division III and ACHA female athletes from around the country. The Showcase provides a recruitment event specifically designed for the aforementioned players. It additionally provides a two hour educational College Seminar led by our own 19U coaches which culminates in a Q&A session with the college coaches/representatives in attendance. See below for a list of teams and colleges that attended the 2015 HPC Showcase.
|16U TEAMS||19U TEAMS|
|Ann Arbor Cougars||Anaheim Lady Ducks|
|California Wave||Arizona Lady Coyotes|
|Columbus Blue Jackets||Mid-State Mustangs|
|Dallas Stars Elite||Montana Big Sky Wildcats|
|Livonia Knights||Omaha Lady Lancers|
|Oakland Jr. Grizzlies||Sabre Girls Hockey|
|Arizona State||UW – Stevens Point|
|Chatham University||UW – Eau Claire|
|McKendree University||Robert Morris|
|St. Norbert College||Davenport University|
|Loyola University||Marian University|
Note: From this showcase Sabre Girls graduating seniors, Maddie Monroe has committed to Stevens Point (NCAA DIII), Nicole Jajic to Iowa State (ACHA), and Nadia Studnicka to McKendree University. Many of our rising seniors have been invited to practice with several of the colleges listed above. Other former Sabre Alums: Emma Paravola (Stevens Point – NCAA DIII), Savannah Farber (Iowa State – ACHA DII), Lauren Bennett (Nichols College – NCAA DIII), Katie Iandoli (Michigan State – ACHA DII), Kendall Turro (Northern Michigan – ACHA DII). We have recently had NCAA DIII colleges, Trine University, Elmira College, New England College and Northland College reach out to our program for graduating seniors. Elmira and New England College scouted several girls at the 2016 National Championships.
Invitations went out recently for the 2016 HPC Showcase. We will field 6 teams at 16U and 12 teams at 19U. We currently have 12 teams committed from Illinois, California, Missouri, Alaska, Michigan, Washington, Nebraska, Colorado and South Dakota.
Designed for 14U, 16U & 19U – High School Age Girls
Held in September, this is a two hour seminar led by our 19U coaches for our freshman through senior girls to prepare them for the steps they need to take should they desire to play hockey after high school. In addition to the lecture and Q & A session, the girls are provided with the documents below. If a girl is serious about playing college hockey, the Sabre Girls program will go above and beyond to help her achieve that goal.
- List of all Division III Colleges and contacts in USA
- List of all ACHA Division I and Division II Colleges and contacts in USA
- Recruiting guidelines by position
- NCAA Recruiting guidelines
- Highlight Video checklist
- Sample letters to college coaches
- A comprehensive “to-do” list for each year of high school
PRE-TRYOUT MINI BOOT CAMP
Our pre-tryout mini boot camp provides a high-tempo combination of both on- and off-ice workouts to prepare players for tryouts. Players are challenged during 6 on-ice and 3 off-ice sessions with the main focus on conditioning, puck movement, agility and speed.
ADDITIONAL EVENTS/PROGRAMS FROM OUR FALL 2015-16 SEASON
- Wine & Cheese Parent Meetings at each age level
- These meetings are held in January and July/August and are designed to keep our parents in the loop regarding program information for the Spring and Fall. These meetings are a great way to address any parent concerns and receive invaluable feedback and ideas from parents.
- Puck Cancer Event
- Held in September/October – the highlight is a game between the 19U teams and Robert Morris Lady Eagles. Special pink jerseys are worn by each team and auctioned off afterwards. There is involvement across all age levels as the younger teams hold a bake sale, sell raffle tickets and chuck-a-pucks.
- Team Bonding Event
- This year all 3 teams participated in the Irish South Bend Cup. Prior to the tournament all levels were invited to a pre-tournament team bonding event where they made Sabre hats, door signs for their hotel doors and Sabre friendship bracelets. Great way for our older girls to mingle with our younger skaters. Due to this team bonding all levels felt invested in how the other teams were doing at the tournament, attended each other’s games and cheered each other on.
- Mentoring Program
- Our 19U girls mentor the younger levels on an organized and scheduled basis; this is part of the 19U program. The 19U girls attended the younger level’s practices on a weekly basis.
- Ice Cream Social
- The ice cream social is held in late July at Commissioners Park in Naperville. All girls (registered and non-registered) are invited to this annual event. The girls play street hockey, spike ball, volleyball, can jam, bags and more while enjoying ice cream. Again, a great way for the girls to bond across all age-levels while parents can ask any questions they have about our Girls’ program.
- Girls Only Try Hockey For Free Events
- THFF EVENTS ARE CRUCIAL TO THE GROWTH OF THE PROGRAM. Our inaugural girls’ only event in February resulted in 48 new girls on the ice. I anticipate 50 more new girls in March. We plan on holding THFF days on a regular basis.
- Summer Workout Program
- Hosted on our Sabre Girls website and created by our 19U coaches, our summer workout program is an independent program for those girls who want to maintain their strength and conditioning during the off-season.